5.16.2003

I promised occasional additional prepublication excerpts. Here's one from Steve Stockman, who wrote Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2. I had a lot of fun making Rattle & Hum jokes with Steve by email. (If you're reading this, Steve: Play the blues.) His sermon is on "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."

...I have been engaged in debate about that song in Africa, Asia, and North America, and more times than I can count in my own country. There are so few people, it seems, who get the succinct theology, the searching spirituality or the vulnerable integrity that sets this song apart from most other attempts at expressing faith in the four minute rock song format. It was U2's producer Daniel Lanois who encouraged Bono to write a �gospel song� � and of course with a choir in a black church in Harlem, during the filming of Rattle and Hum, it becomes just that.
Biblically, it seems to me that �I Still Haven�t Found What I�m Looking For� is set, intentionally or otherwise, in Philippians chapter 3. In this passage Paul is writing to a church in Macedonia, and, as he often does, warning them against those who would bring legalism back into battle with the grace of the Gospel....


I'm delighted we have Steve as part of this book. There's more than one sermon on this song, and I find his concept that it's set in Phil. 3 really interesting.

No comments: