8.15.2003

Today, in some western Christian traditions, is a day that is in some way dedicated to Mary. It's Assumption for Roman Catholics, St. Mary the Virgin for me; I thought a version of this day was also in the pan-Protestant Revised Common Lectionary as well, but now I can't find it, so perhaps it isn't (anybody know?)

Anyway, to get somewhere close to the main topic, here is my question: U2 is a band that clearly loves and respects women, that enjoys playing with female images for God, that has often worked with "mother" issues, and that comes from a heavily Roman Catholic country. Why is it that Mary almost never shows up in their work?

At the moment all I can think of is "looking for Jesus and his mother" from Zooropa, and the little statue from The Edge's gear on the last tour (I'd show you a picture if I had one, but I don't. If someone wants to tell me where one can be found on the web, I'll link to it.) And some might include the rosary the Pope gave Bono, I suppose.
{Edit: thanks to an anonymous commentator for telling me about one more: a recording of Bono reciting Yeats' "Mother of God" on a benefit CD.}

By the way, I don't have an answer to this question, in case you were hoping I'd give you one.

No comments: