3.30.2004

Guitar Rock: U2's "Tomorrow" from October

Ben Squires at Music Spectrum reflects on the use of pop culture in preaching, offering some comments on more complex versus "straight-up-Christian" takes on U2, along with a reading of "Tomorrow" that focuses on the thing Bono initially claimed it was about (the Troubles). I concluded so early that the lyric drew on two members of the band having lost their mothers as teens that I've always had to struggle to hear the Troubles in there at all, but Ben's comments helped me get my head around that interpretation in a way I hadn't been able to before. If you want to see if he does actually end up preaching from U2 in a sermon about "Christian music" at his Wednesday night service, you'll have to check his preaching blog later in the week.

No comments: