1.06.2006

Top 5 in 2005

The Corner's asked some of us to participate in its Top 5 of the year list in which bloggers get to highlight some of their own favorite posts. Here are mine, which focus on some of the relatively rare instances when I write at length out of my own perspective on a blog which is still really a promotional device for the book Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching the U2 Catalog. This year there seem to be a lot of song readings. They're in no order.

1. "The root cause of a lot of the problems in politics is hardness of the heart." This is a reading of the song "Love and Peace or Else," done before the Vertigo Tour started. I think I've been proven off the mark on at least one point by the live sequencing, but I still like the piece.

2. @U2's Drawing their Fish in the Sand archive was updated this year, and I wrote about my involvement with it in U2 Biblical References....

3. This post, "No secret at all," is probably my major blog highlight of the year, split into 3 parts for length: 1, 2, 3. It's a theological reading of U2's song "The Fly," explaining its new live presentation on the Vertigo Tour in light of previous presentations. I think I am still the only person who has written on this topic.

4.teach me how to sing: U2 world-premiered their 1993 song "The First Time" in 2005; here are some comments on it.

5. Too cute and in-jokey? Maybe, but I made myself laugh with "Best to be upfront about these things."

No comments: