10.05.2007

Too many choices

I happened on this post from The Dubliner today - it's an excerpt from a book that asked a lot of famous people the same questions about spirituality - and I was struck by a sequence of ideas in this answer (What is your code, in relation to right and wrong? "You know instinctively, always, what’s the right thing to do. And the greatest enemy of that instinct is the din of too many choices. Noise. I think of that story in the Bible of Elijah who was told he should go up a hill and wait to hear from God. A mighty wind springs up and he thinks: 'Here it comes, God’s on his way.' Then there’s an earthquake, but no word from God. Then comes a great fire and he thinks that God will speak from the fires, but no. The wind calms down and in the stillness he hears God’s voice. Sometimes you have to quiet your life to hear what is the right thing to do.")

What struck me was that this is the same coupling sketched in the lyrics to "New York":
In New York freedom feels like too many choices
In New York I found a friend to drown out the other voices


And hey, the end of the song (In the stillness of the evening/ when the sun has had its day/
I heard your voice whispering/ 'come away child'
) I'd always thought had a mixture of Elijah and Song of Solomon overtones anyway.

No comments: