12.24.2008

Here's a Christmas eve gift for us: An @U2 writer redeems the quasi-Gnostic line "Stranded in some skin and bones"

Another very personal spiritual reflection in the Like a Song series from @U2, this one on "Yahweh." Excerpt:
For the past 20 years, I have suffered from anorexia. I've recovered and relapsed countless times, including six long stays in eating-disorder treatment centers, so I truly have been stranded in skin and bones, without much of a soul, flesh or anything that was a sign of life.... A few months after attending my first U2 concert in 2005 (I'm a latecomer to fandom), I wrote the following in a journal about the experience: "It was just a concert, but I felt like my life had changed. I'd surrendered, awakened, felt...." Of course, therapy, doctors, support groups and all sorts of people and techniques have helped me recover, but U2 delivered the first glimmer of hope.

No comments: