3.27.2009

Shut Up and Let Me Love You

Thanks again for the help fixing the Fez link in the last post. It is fixed.

Stealing directly from Mark Meynell here, who has pulled out of the conclusion of Bono In Conversation this passage, which was already arresting enough, and suggests we hold it up against "Unknown Caller." I suppose when it comes down to it you can't actually sing "shut up," but you can sing "shush now":
Assayas: You said about your father: “He would disappear into silence and wit.” I think that in your case, you do disappear into volubility and wit. [Bono bursts out laughing] What do you make of that?
Bono: Guilty, your honour.
No further comment?
‘Be silent and know that I am God.’ That’s a favourite line from the Scriptures. ‘Shut up and Let Me Love You’ would be the pop song. [laughs] It’s really what it means. If ever I needed to hear a comment, it might be that.
Ultimate question, then you’re rid of me. What leaves you speechless?
[sighs… 20 second pause, continuous sound of cicadas] Does singing count?
I’m afraid not. Songs have words.
But not when I start. Usually, it’s just a melody and nonsense words. Hmm… Songs are about as succinct as I get. I’m just sparing you. [laughs then ponders for a moment] ‘Forgiveness’ is my answer.
You mean ‘being forgiven’?
Yeah.

No comments: