6.27.2005

Fish Part 2

I mentioned earlier, on the occasion of the new edition of the U2 Bible references archive, having written and lost a few extra comments. What I was thinking about was that I'm glad I didn't have to make a list for How to Dismantle, because I find it very hard to decide on whether particular turns of phrase are an allusion, or just part of the Biblical worldview (which would disqualify them for "Drawing Their Fish.")

For example, "always pain before a child is born": yes, or no? "I was born a child of grace" -- the concept is transparently Christian, but can you actually locate it at a particular verse? It's John 3-ey (as is the whole "at the door of the place I started out from and I want back inside" bit), and also pretty Pauline, but what would you cite specifically for Paul? Maybe something in Romans? Or maybe not. "From the brightest star comes the blackest hole" - probably some kind of reference to the fall of Lucifer, but tough to find an actual a passage containing both halves of the concept. "Catch you by the heel" -- is that Jacob, or Achilles, or something else?

I do have to say, however, that I would definitely have included one reference that didn't make this update: "Take this mouth, give it a kiss."

No comments: