6.28.2005

I ______ my friend.

As long as I'm linking some images in this post [which was edited to add new images 7/7], I'll give you Yahweh (which reprises the COEXIST theme and ends with a series of Sacred Heart images - no Jesus, just the Heart). But the most theologically impressive thing to me in the stadium version of the U2 Vertigo tour was the treatment of "The Fly." I wish I had it on film because I am writing from memory and I know it varies a bit; would love help from readers. The Zoo portion of the show features this song with its "traditional" destabilizingly fast slogans, some of them flip and some not. But it's no longer just a presentation about media chaos; this time, there's a metanarrative. The opening warns us that LETTERS/ BECOME WORDS/ BECOME SENTENCES/ BECOME LIES and the visuals focus on statements and their potential effects. By a fill-in-the-blank technique they keep the amusement going while also sending a message (eventually stated explicitly) about the power our own choices have to determine what we agree to (i.e. evil or good). There are dialogues in different colors:
I HAVE NO MONEY I HAVE NO POWER
THIS IS WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO THINK
As we learn how to fight "Them," "They" go on telling lies, often in red and black, and near the end the truth comes out, superimposed over big white words like HOPE:
THE SECRET IS YOURSELF
THE SECRET IS YOUR PAIN
THE SECRET IS LETTING GO GIVING UP GIVING IN
TO... [and here I was expecting at last to get the ironic turn, the way "it's your world you can change it" used to shift to "charge it," but, no, the 90s are well and truly gone:]
GIVING IN TO...
LOVE
all gold and white. And then the thing reverses itself, and plays the beginning backwards until "their" lies and "our" apathy/powerlessness disappear into nothingness before your eyes. HTDAAB deluxe book and "death itself beginning to work backwards," anybody?

No comments: